Posted by Richard
on Jul 20, 2011 in All Posts
| 36 comments
This will root your HTC Thunderbolt so you can install custom ROMs. This will WIPE your Thunderbolt TWICE. I use My Backup Pro to backup all my applications and data. You can get a free 30 day trial from the app store.
Download required files here.
1. Install the HTC Sync Setup software.
2. Plug your phone into your computer and make sure you have it set to Charge Only.
3. Go to Settings > Applications > Development and check the box next to USB Debugging and Stay Awake
4. Double click the “Start_Root_V2.1″ file that I’ve placed in the folder.
5. Follow the steps on the screen. The whole process will take 10-30 minutes.
Then when you’re ready to install custom ROMs, download “ROM Manager” from the app store. Then you can checkout some of the ROMs I’ve posted on the WireValley message board
. Das BAMF has worked the best for me so far. In order to root your Thunderbolt, you will need to download all the files Here
Once you root your Thunderbolt you will be able to install the new Gingerbread 2.3.4 ROM! I’ve been using the Gingerbread ROMs by Team BAMF. What’s nice about custom Gingerbread ROMs vs. waiting for HTC and Verizon to release the OTA Official Gingerbread update is that these custom ROMs remove all the bloatware that Verizon loads onto the phone.
Also, you can download wireless tether which will allow you to turn your phone into a mobile hotspot for FREE! And if you’re like me and signed up with Verizon before they axed their unlimited data plan, then you’re sitting pretty good right now