Posted by Richard
on Jul 13, 2011 in All Posts
| 47 comments
Back on July 5th, 2011 I wrote an article how I updated my HTC Thunderbolt to Gingerbread 2.3.4 by installing a custom Das BAMF 2.1 ROM onto my Android phone because I couldn’t wait for HTC and Verizon anymore. The update was suppose to come June 30, 2011 and after Quarter 2 ended with no Gingerbread in sight, I took matters into my hands.
Das BAMF 2.1 was a good first custom ROM for me to install. However, I didn’t realize that more version have been released since then! RC1 – unofficial RC5. Each release fixes known issues and has improvements. Last night I installed the RC5 release which hasn’t been “officially” released. However, on Android message boards I read that the RC5 build was very stable, snappy, and was an improvement over RC4. I did NOT install RC1 – RC4 so I can’t say for sure if RC5 is better than the others. However, I will assume it is since RC5 is a later build.
After installing RC5 last night, I’m happy to say I have not seen any significant problems. I actually prefer Das BAMF Sense 3.0 RC5 over the Das BAMF 2.1. The reasons why?
- The camera is no longer laggy. I can take a picture without the display being delayed by a couple seconds.
- I no longer receive “Force Close” messages on RC5. (I may have received like 1 or 2 when I first booted up the phone. But since then, I’ve turned the phone off, pulled the batter, done plenty of restarts, and I have not received anymore error messages. RC5 defiantly feels more stable.)
- When I installed the RC5 build, I did NOT have to worry about installing a radio update after the ROM flash. I had 4G service immediately after the phone started up.
- 6 cell phone bars instead of the standard 4 that Verizon usually has! FINALLY! I use to be on AT&T (yuck) and I was always use to having 5 bars of service. When switching to Verizon, 4 always seemed a little odd. So I’m happy to say I really like having 6 bars on my HTC Thunderbolt now.
Here are a couple things I don’t like in the RC5 build:
- When you open up your app drawer to display all your apps and scroll through them, it no longer flips by pages or in sections.
- The weather sounds aren’t as nice as the Das BAMF 2.1 sounds. When my weather is updated as being sunny outside, the sound is too loud, too long, and too annoying. I’m turning weather sounds off.
There seems to be a little confusion with RC 4.9 and RC5. It seems RC5 would be a later built, but it’s not. RC5 was just a “preview”. If you’re looking to install a custom ROM and would like the latest as of today from Das BAMF, then you’ll want RC 4.9. Every one keeps saying this is the most stable version. You can click here to download RC4.9
. If you’re looking to download RC5, please see below.
I have not noticed any changes from RC5 to RC4.9 and I have not experienced any stability issues. Both ROMs have worked great for me. However, Hulu+ does NOT work for me. It always crashes after I try to start playing a video file.
If you’re interested in downloading Das BAMF Sense 3.0 RC5 you can do so here
. Your phone will already have to be rooted and you’ll have to have a ROM Manger app installed on your phone so you can install a custom ROM from your SD card.
If you have questions or need help, please feel free to ask me.
PLEASE NOTE: I may have to take the file down if I get bombarded with download request. I have limited bandwidth available each month. If this happens, the file is on RapidShare and other file hosting websites.